Nik Axe is a published illustrator and comic artist from Cape Breton, Canada with a specialty for drawing the female form in a high-style.
Is Nik Axe your real name?
Phonetically, yes. The true spelling is Nick(Nicholas) Acs.
Kids – Pets?
No children. I have two cats – from oldest to youngest: Lupé and Sanspoof, (we’ve named all our pets from the old point-and-click adventure game Grim Fandango).
Where are you located?
Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada
What are your hobbies?
I get pulled into history, philosophy, religion, psychology – the general things that reveal man’s character – divine or natural. Kayaking and camping with my wife.
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, Shawshank Redemption, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Casablanca, Blade Runner, Braveheart, Gladiator, Dead Poets Society, Hacksaw Ridge, When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride, Shakespeare in Love, Sense and Sensibility, Stand By Me, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, Tommy Boy, Shawn of the Dead, Dumb and Dumber, V for Vendetta
I mostly listen to film soundtracks, classical and opera. But on occasion I’ll listen to: Nora Jones, Counting Crows, Amy Winehouse, Portishead, Remy Zero, Lana Del Rey
Cheers, Star Trek: TNG, Boston Legal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twin Peaks, The Wonder Years, Frasier
Sushi, Chinese, Butter Chicken Curry, Steak, Burgers, Chips… it goes on and on.
Thomas Valiant (cover and pinups), my own comic – SpectrePunk, and a comic with writer, Curtis Larson (Crom) – Orock
Where did you go to school?
Sheridan College for the Classical Animation Program.
How long have you been drawing?
I was drawing in grade school, but I began to take it seriously when I was fifteen, (around the time Image formed).
How long does a piece take you?
Anywhere between a day to three weeks. It depends on the complexity of the image. Comic pages I can pencil/ink (digital) in 1 to 3 days.
Alan Davis, Adam Hugues, Alex Alice, Guarnido Juanjo, Mathieu Lauffray, John Buscema, J Scott Campbell, David Wright, Marc Silvestri, Olivier Coipel, Cary Nord, Alex Toth, and many others…
- Paper: Borden & Riley #234 or Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 Series
- Pencil: Pencil holder with vintage Eagle (Berol) Turquoise drawing leads (B through 6B)
- Eraser: Fabre Castell Kneaded, Derwent Electric, Tombow Mono Stick
- Pens: Copic Multiliner + Refills
- Inks: Kuretake Black Ink 60
- Brushes: Raphael Kolinsky 4, 2, 3/0
- Markers: Copic Sketch Cool/Warm/Neutral Grays
- Color Pencils: Fabre Castell Polychromos 120 set
- Digital Tablet: Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, iPad Pro 2020, iPad Pro 2017
- Computer: Apple Mac Mini M1, 16GB Ram, 512 HD
- Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.4BT
- Microphone: Blue Snowball
- Desk Camera: Logitech C922 Pro Stream
Take a look at the icons at the header/footer of this site, all social should be there.
What cons are you attending?
Unfortunately I don’t go to any cons.
Can I get a commission?
Please check my commissions page for details.
Do you draw anything other than beautiful women?
Yes. Sadly I’m rarely asked to do so.
Do you mentor?
Yes – Art Mentorship is now available.